Friday, August 04, 2006

Science vs Spirituality

Here’s a thought that struck me yesterday, even though it’s been on my mind for months: does science provide the basis for the existence of everything, and if so, where does that leave spirituality?

Although having an interest in most things spiritual, I do feel that science is still the bedrock of existence, if only as a blanket term for the explanation of everything. Therefore I see spirituality as a layer resting somewhere above science, interweaving all the time.

So I guess what I’m getting at is the question: “When we have a spiritual encounter or experience, are we labelling it spiritual because we don’t understand – or chose not to believe – that its foundation lies in science?” Or does spirituality function on a totally separate level independent of science altogether?

INQUIRY: How much of a spiritual person are you? How many spiritual encounters have you had? What influence or impact did they have on your life?

No comments: