Monday, September 04, 2006

Goals And Determinations - How Measurable Should They Be?

I’ve been wondering lately if goals and determinations are one and the same. Goals to me are something you aspire to achieve – or rather, you want to achieve – whereas determinations are something you will achieve. Perhaps it’s a mindset thing? Either way, I know in myself I’m very determined to achieve my goals, which may well mean they’re not one in the same, i.e. the level of determination you call upon defines the nature of achieving your goal? Perhaps that in itself is something of an answer, hmm?

Then there’s the difference between making your goal/determination general and specific. For example, let’s say you believe you’re worthy of a pay rise – do you say to yourself, “I want to be earning more money in a couple of months,” or do you say, “I am determined by July 22nd, to be offered a £500/month pay-rise as of August’s payroll.” Alternatively, are you one of those who says, “By August, I will be earning a salary commensurate with the effort I put in and the value I create?” Hmm, that last one may require some thought.

INQUIRY: List some of the goals and determinations you have in mind for the next week, month and year, (and beyond if you like). How measurable are they? How will you know when you’ve achieved or exceeded them? And what motivates you to achieve them?

BTW, the Japanese word for determination is “decision”. Have a think about how this impacts the process of achievement.

No comments: