Monday, July 17, 2006

Using Your Intuition

Throughout my life, my intuition has veered from one extreme to the other, rarely settling in the middle. Yet as a coach, we’re encouraged to experiment with it more and more, regardless of how unnatural or “off the mark” it appears. That’s all well and good, I thought, but surely you have to be careful (e.g. diplomatic), or else risk offending the other person. Either way, it didn’t really sit very comfortably with me.

Still, I determined to get to grips with it and kept blurting whatever came to mind. I wasn’t sure if I was experimenting with it, because by nature, I’m the sort of person who tends to speak their mind anyway – although this is definitely something I’ve reigned in of late. As was happening previously, my intuition were sometimes incredibly accurate, sometimes the total opposite. And it’s only been in the last few weeks that I can honestly say it’s ‘improving’, if that’s the right word. I think what’s happening is my intuition is feeding more and more on a diet of wisdom – where that’s coming from, I don’t yet know – but it’s certainly coming to the fore with better timing. To me, that currently feels neither right nor wrong – it’s just the way it is.

I’m also feeling my intuition working on the bigger picture … don’t know how to explain this, or what it means … not going to analyse it, just letting it be … will no doubt know more soon.

INQUIRY: How often do you call on your intuition? Do you use it only in the company of people you’re comfortable with, or are you happy blurting to anyone? How accurate is it?

ACTION: Check in with your intuition for the next seven days. Make a note of the impact it creates. Does anyone comment on it?

No comments: